Changing practice and why I decided to focus mostly on the level of the ongoing activity.

Since I work as an adjunct instructor, I don’t have the authority to change the institutional policies and due to this I would prefer to focus on the level of the ongoing activity and on what I could realistically innovate in my everyday practice. However, this decision was not straightforward, since I was wondering whether a focus on the ‘lower’ level, would result in a set of ‘superficial’ actions, achieving to scratch only the surface of the problem.
Yet, both the enacted and the experienced curriculum are unlikely to correspond to the specified curriculum since teacher’s agency will always affect the way curriculum and assessment systems are implemented in practice. Thus, I’ve realized that even though, many of the tenets of the educational institution and the social order might not fit with my personal system of beliefs or with the sociocultural approach this should not act as a constraint but as boost in order small steps to start enhancing progressively my practice. 
Nevertheless, the influences from the social order and the level of the institution should not be underestimated or neglected since the three planes of analysis are always inseparable. Consequently, several actions in order to be implemented, as for example the reinforcement of the teacher-students relationship, they might require changes in the organization and the apparatuses of the school, as for example a less time-pressured schedule. 

Comments