An analysis of how I learn and what things help me to be able to apply my learning most effectively

Formulation of a suitable conceptual framework, under which my learning could be presented and analyzed

I’ve managed to detect an oscillation between those activities that comply with my need for artistic expression and those that are imposed by several market requirements, although this dichotomy (artistic expression versus technical knowledge) is not always absolute and impenetrable.

The conceptual framework under which my education in architecture can be presented and analysed: My learning can be divided into the following two, dominant types:



  • Type A: Learning in the field of artistic development.
  • Type B: Learning the field of technical knowledge.
    The conceptual framework under which my learning can be presented and analysed

    Presentation and analysis of my learning
    The learning goals (or what I aspire from my learning) are probably the most dominant feature that affect the whole process. I perceive them as city landmarks that direct a possible route without imposing a unique one. In the field of artistic development the learning goals are abstract and personal, while in the field of technical knowledge are specific, measurable and having mostly vocational orientation. 
    In the field of artistic development I would characterize my learning as liberating that can occur even in informal places (public spaces, friend’s houses, etc) and under flexible organizational structures (elastic time schedules and without assessment tests). The essential learning features are the exchange of ideas, the public disclosure, the communication among the participants and the communal working. I believe that the transformation through this type of learning is slow and sometimes unperceivable. Since this type of learning cultivates my imagination and promotes creative thinking (precious skills for my professional practice) it affects indirectly and deeply both my professional and personal development. Using again the notion of the metaphor, I would say that it resembles to a flock of birds that flight collectively and freely from place to place experiencing each time a new perspective.  
    In the field of technical knowledge I would characterize my learning as domesticating, that can occur mostly in formal places (universities, schools, on-line classes, etc). The essential features are the prudent and strategic studying, the awareness to the assessment requirements, the searching for the most efficient and quick learning method, etc. The transformation through this type of learning is gradual, perceivable, affecting directly my professional practice and resembling to a ladder where the climbing is sequential and steady.
    Regardless of the learning type, I learn more intensively when I participate actively to the process, for example by doing a practical exercise, writing an assignment, creating an object, doing a research, etc. All these activities allow me to self-evaluate my progress, understand and assimilate deeper new knowledge, transform theory into practice, apply learning into real problems, etc.
    Below, I have drawn my personal learning cycle.

    Finally and using again the dichotomy between Artistic and Technical learning I’ve drawn a table, recording the most crucial features that either help or constraint my learning.   



    Field of artistic development




    Helps

    ·         Flexible organizational structures
    ·         A positive criticism
    ·         The participation through creation and expression
    ·         The experimentations
    ·         The communal learning and the exchanging of the ideas





    constraints

    ·         Strict organizational structures
    ·         The assessment tests
    ·         A discouraging criticism
    ·         The dependent and subordinate learning
    ·         The ready-made knowledge



    Field of technical knowledge





    Helps

    ·         Good organizational structures
    ·         Clear assessment criteria
    ·         The setting of measurable learning outcomes
    ·         A positive criticism
    ·         The practical examples inspired by real problems
    ·         The experimentations although some from of ready-made knowledge (tips and tricks) would be well- accepted.
    ·         The use of effective methods




    constraints

    ·         flexible organizational structures
    ·         Vague learning goals and outcomes
    ·         A discouraging criticism




Comments