More thoughts on the necessity of concept mapping the learning activity

The concept of “practical exercises” seems to act like a node of a network, where the new knowledge, the demands of the professional practice and several skills from other learning areas are connected together, leading the CPD activity to the ultimate purpose. 
Furthermore, I identified an additional cyclic pattern, combined with the previous structure, denoting that my learning was not context free and it was influenced by the particular characteristics of the learning subject. The cyclic pattern was connected to the previous structure through the concepts of self-education and personal experimentations, indicating that self-education skills are probably a remedy against the stress, produced by the rapid and frequent technological developments.


Hence, summarizing the most significant elements, that I have realized (or I think I have realized) from doing the activity of concept mapping I would say that:
-I have identified a combination of learning patterns (chain, spokes and networks) constructing a structure, that isn’t context free (is influenced by the characteristics of the learning subject)
-I have confirmed the importance of several practical exercises, related to the professional practice, in the consolidation of new knowledge.
-I became aware that self-education skills and personal experimentations are vital in the field of software technology learning. 


Nevertheless, I have serious doubts of whether the technique of concept mapping can reveal anything to the learner that he doesn’t already know, for example the unperceived learning outcomes or what hinders his knowledge, etc. It seems to me that is an oxymoron the fact that the learner himself (and not for example an objective observer) is called to write down how he perceived of his own learning and then to evaluate and reflect on this highly subjective perception.

Comments