Using a framework to describe a CPD (Continuing Professional Development) activity

In order to portray my personal perception of the CPD activity in 3DS Max, I’ve have decided to use the framework of the metaphor. The metaphor is not only a form of verbal description of an analogy, but it’s also a form of visual depiction that can transmit and create forceful and immediate images in people’s minds. Considering, on the one hand the expressive qualities of the metaphor and on the other the personal preferences that I have, for communication and expression through several illustration techniques (sketching, drawing, diagramming etc), the framework of the metaphor was almost an immediate choice for me.  
Before the selection of the most adequate metaphor, I had to reflect on several others, that they were also approaching my CPD (Continuing Professional Development) activity. For example, I was thinking to examine the metaphors of a multistory building or of a set of pencils or of a tree. Finally I opted for tree, and more specifically for the apple tree, because it fitted better to the way I conceive the architectural profession and education.



In order, to examine how and why my CPD activity fitted into this framework, I’ve decided to draw, from the beginning, an apple tree and then to try to match the basic concepts of my learning perception with the equivalent components of the tree structure. 
The roots, at the bottom of the structure, keep the tree firm on the ground. With, the roots, I’ve matched the concept of the “basic skills learning”. The crown with the branch system was matched with the concept of the “advanced skills learning”. Subsequently, the soil nutrients were matched with the acquired information that primarily reinforce the root system (basic skills) and then expand to the upper levels of the tree (advanced skills). Both the branches of the roots and the crown can grow and fork gradually and almost equally in any direction until they create a spherical shape.
The trunk, with the branches connected to it, matches the concept of “prior knowledge”. As the tree grows, the trunk (pool of knowledge) grows too. In the crown also occurs the substantial labor of the photosynthesis. The photosynthesis resembles the concept of the “practical exercises”, where several unrelated components (sun, water, food, oxygen- new and prior knowledge, and professional practice) are cooperate and merged together, in order to produce energy. With the fruits I also wanted to accentuate the importance of the learning outcomes, as an artifact that can be admired and consumed by other people. I also identified an analogy between the endless circle of the tree life (feeding and producing fruits) and the demands of the software technology for constant training.
Generally, the metaphor of the tree seems valid and compatible with the way I perceive my CPD (Continuing Professional Development) training. Especially the gradual and equal development of the branch system made me conceptualize the spherical development of my skills. Nevertheless, I have identified inconsistencies in the way I conceive (or I would like to conceive) the concept of the learning outcomes. Through the metaphor of the tree with the endless circle of feeding (education) and producing fruits (creations), I have identified only one part of my professional targets, which is the production of feasible and creative ideas (fruits). There is also another part, that of my economical development and promotion in my job that could be better represented by a goal-oriented metaphor, like the metaphor of a ladder.
            On the other hand the tree metaphor could be an indicator, that although my CPD activity helped the development of my creative and artistic skills, nevertheless it wasn’t focused enough to my ambitions for promotion and to specific and measurable learning outcomes.
Of course, as in the case of the concept map, I have still my doubts about whether the use of a metaphor can help me understand deeper my professional learning or it is just an idealistic analogy or how I would like to perceive my professional learning.

Comments