Reflecting on a continuing professional development choice: Example A

CPD: Training in the use of 3DS MAX.
Subject area: Computer graphics for architectural illustration.
Institution: A municipal organization for education and culture.
Year of attendance: 2009
Estimated hours: 180 hours

As, a professional architect, I need to know a set of tools and techniques in order to be able to illustrate effectively several design ideas and to present them to clients, journals, blogs, portfolios etc. After a considerable searching, experimentations and comparisons between several representational methods, I concluded to invest time, effort and money, in order to learn 3D Studio Max by Autodesk, which is considered one of the most popular computer graphics software.
The decision was not easy and straightforward, since on the one hand I was hearing controversial suggestion by other colleagues, while on the other I had my own doubts of whether I should focus my professional development on the acquisition of technology skills (advanced digital media) or on the improvement of art skills (traditional media). With the traditional media (drawing, sketching, painting, etc) I could express myself intuitively while with the digital media (virtual reality, 3d animation, etc) I needed systematic training in order to learn to use them creatively. Nevertheless, I was aware that digital technology could offer powerful and advantageous features to my professional practice, and probably would replace, in the immediate future, the traditional media in almost all the stages of the design process (conceptualization, drawing, presentation etc.).
In addition, I became aware, conducting a small personal research (asking employers and colleagues, searching job ads and newspaper articles), that the majority of the employers esteem the acquisition of high technological skills, while clients are impressed by new media presentations (virtual tours in future buildings, photorealistic views, digital effects etc.). Thus, considering on the one hand the market requirements and on the other the powerful characteristics of the digital media, I opted to focus my learning on the acquisition/improvement of several technology/computer skills. 

Reasons for focusing my learning on the acquisition/improvement of several technology/computer skills.
Basic reason
  • Development of my professional expertise
Sub-reasons

  • Market requirements
  • The advantages of digital media

The next issue to be resolved was the selection of the most appropriate software. I finally opted for 3DS Max, because it was generally considered one of the most promising and well-known platforms, suggested by many architectural firms.
Finally, I had doubts, of whether I should learn 3DS Max by using a self-education method (books, tutorials, etc) or by attending a typical face to face course. I opted for a face to face seminar because I was afraid that I couldn’t manage to learn this complicated software without the contribution of an expert teacher.
In brief, from this CPD episode, I was expecting to learn the use of 3DS Max, in order to improve my professional expertise and consequently to make an opening to new customers, services, employers, etc.

Comments